Reply to post: Re: Some of you guys worry me greatly.

Global IPv4 address drought: Seriously, we're done now. We're done

Kiwi
FAIL

Re: Some of you guys worry me greatly.

That's why the ISP's provide pre-configured routers with all the "hard stuff" taken care of, anyone can now plug in their incorrectly named modem / router / wireless router / Internet gateway and get to things on the Internet - irrespective of the protocol used under the hood.

That would be those "pre-configured routers" with all the "the "hard stuff" taken care of like telnet into the router, default username and password of "admin", world accessible configuration web page with same defaults (ie http://your.ip:51005 (iirc) for some Thompson/speedtouch/whateverothername) models) you're referring to then? The ones that, on the internally visible config pages, had no mention that telnet and/or ssh was open to world+dog and no function to turn it off? Those "pre-configured routers" ? The ones that (in the case of Telecom NZ) had WiFi configured to be completely open out of the box, requiring no passwords to enter the WiFi and no passwords to change unimportant things like which DNS servers were used? Those "pre-configured routers"?

Mate is getting one next week. Will be interesting to see what I can access over the net OOTB.

Wish I saw your post 10 days ago...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon