Reply to post: Criminal or civil action

I was authorized to trash my employer's network, sysadmin tells court

Michael Felt

Criminal or civil action

if he was convicted in the criminal sense - i.e., a law that intends to protect computer users/owners from abusive behavior/actions from an individual.

In short, this case will live and die by a strict discussion of the word "authorized" - to be or not to be.

I doubt anyone will not see this as "wrongful" as it shows a behavior that most would consider outside the bounds of the "authorization".

A different example: a police officer is authorized to carry and use a firearm. However, his "use" of the firearm, while also "authorized" is also subject to review to determine if he abused the authorization granted.

If the current, or past law, that was used to charge the admin lacks a directive for review - the law is broken and needs an update. I expect, regardless of the outcome of this case such a review is forthcoming.

And, of course - even if the appeal says he was authorized - in the legal sense - I would not feel safe, as a civil case can still be opened. Actually, surprised if this has not already been acted on.

My two cents.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon