Reply to post: Re: Adam 52 - Linux not easily fit for purpose

Munich may dump Linux for Windows

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Adam 52 - Linux not easily fit for purpose

> I moved to Linux Mint around eight months ago, but will soon be changing back to Win 7

That's cool. Sounds like your workflow is built around Windows (MS Office, WINE, ...) so why even bother trying anything else then?

> if you are trying to accomplish something that makes you look professional within a reasonable time, Windows is the way to go.

I would have to take exception to that comment of yours. For me, to build anything at all I need to stay away from Windows since it doesn't support neither my workflow nor my tools at all¹, and I personally find it a throwback to the nineties, in terms of technology and usability, an opinion which Mac users seem to share, btw. However, if it works for you, then just go with it.

¹ When I started using Linux, back in 1995, we were trying to do some data processing involving a few hundred entries, each of which consisted of two images and a couple of text files. We started doing it on a Windows desktop and the processing was taking two hours per entry. I had installed one of the first Linux distros (RH I think it was) on a "scrap" computer and gave it a go there (I already had Unix experience). Took us IIRC about 45 minutes to process the whole dataset, compared to the few weeks that it would have taken with Windows (made a bit of a killing on that job). From what little I've seen, nothing much has changed since.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon