Reply to post: Re: If you only buy none of this matters

New PayPal T&Cs prevents sellers trash-talking PayPal

Ben Tasker

Re: If you only buy none of this matters

Assuming the price is the same with Paypal as with other payment methods, it isn't your problem if merchants get charged twice as much for using Paypal as using credit cards.

It is if that cost is passed onto you as a customer. Paypal don't let sellers directly charge extra for using Paypal, so guess what happens? Prices rise across the board.

I've had to have discussions with customers in the past who wanted to pay via Paypal and explain that the cost will be higher to cover the fee's Paypal levy.

Ultimately, I don't value my time any less because of the payment method you want to use.

I haven't sold anything directly online since the EU VAT changes (just not worth the overhead & risk), but in the past, where Paypal's fees have risen, so have my prices.

What does suck, for all involved, is Paypal's (understandable) insistence that you can't pass directly pass the fees on. If I was allowed to add a ~5% line item, only for Paypal transactions, that'd at least lead to Paypal losing business (as you'd probably pay with a credit card instead)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon