Reply to post: Don't agree

Kids these days will never understand the value of money

dank_army

Don't agree

"good accounting" (as you're article opens with) - is all about itemising and tracking where you've spent (and received) money. This doesn't work if your cash is floating in the back pocket of your jeans or you lose £2 down the side of your sofa.

I *hate* cash - I/my wife take £20 out of the bank if we asked each other at the end of the month where that money was spent 9/10 I couldn't tell you. At least if it's an obscure transaction (I buy 9 toilet rolls from Ebay) it will show up on my bank statement in some kind of memory-jogging way.

What lacks are decent mobile banking apps - Nationwide banking app for instance doesn't even show you the account balance on a particular day - just what you've spent/received - I have no idea (at a glance) when I'm draining my account or go overdrawn without logging onto my laptop.

Needs an app where all the banks can feed your statement data into realtime - business banking has this been doing this for years into accounting software (albeit with a long import delay).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon