Reply to post: Optional

Samsung's Chromebook Pro: Overpriced vanilla PC with a stylus. 'Wow'

luminous

Optional

Ok I'll bite...

Unless you are using an ad blocker, you get ads from google all the time. And they are targeted to you according to your browsing, other sites you visit, all the other things you do on your google devices. So you may say, well I'm a pretty boy and I don't do anything wrong so I've got nothing to worry about. We all have private lives and we shouldn't put up with big corporations or governments spying on us. Or would you prefer that everyone's life is open all the time and big brother is recording exactly what you are doing all the time? This principal is what gets a lot of us, even if we don't experience an actual embarrassment over leak of data. We don't want to live in the matrix.

And you may disagree with the above... that's fine. You don't care that your data is being slurped and spied on by other people. But there are other consequences that will effect you daily. It's called bubbling and this is mainly what google's slurping is for. Ever wondered why a friend's search results for the same string are different? Google shows you the results they "think" you want to see. This is really dangerous and dividing, and very very wrong. We've seen major consequences of this last year and I guess it will only get worse.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon