Reply to post: missed chance

Conviction by computer is go, confirms UK Ministry of Justice

tiggity Silver badge

missed chance

Alternatively they could have reformed the stupid laws on rail ticket offenses.

I get bored with their "You realize you should have purchased a ticket before you got on the train" spiel.

When:

It's short notice and short distance travel - so not been able to get ticket in advance (and code to punch into machine not an option as see below)

It's an unmanned (and no toilets or other facilities) bleak station with large number of passengers waiting for train and 1 ticket machine (and a huge queue for ticket machine so FA chance of getting to use ticket machine )

So I could wait an hour for the next train or on train "revenue protection" muppet could actually provide a service and sell me a ticket now as you deliberately do not provide enough ticketing facilities for peak demand times.

In the event I do know a few days before what's happening work wise and get a ticket in advance but then the situation changes and I need to be on a different site that day then I lose out financially (as can get ticket refunds but minus a tenner handling fee, so if you work on multiple sites and have short notice site changes getting advance tickets is an alternative to setting fire to tenners so "on the day" purchase only real option)

In scenarios where trains are frequent then the must have ticket before getting on train approach is OK, but when a long wait between trains then they need to be aware their pre purchase idea is fantasy land

They have never tried the issuing a fine approach with me, that may be related to my I'm honest not fare evading ,sell me a ticket or that portable ticket machine goes through your alimentary canal the wrong way look in my eye in such situations.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon