Reply to post: The TV companies have nobody to blame but themselves

Who's behind the Kodi TV streaming stick crackdown?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

The TV companies have nobody to blame but themselves

The TV companies really need to look at themselves and understand why people are using solutions like Kodi to get their TV fix. It's not as simple as they make out. While there are some that will just refuse to pay for television, getting rid of Kodi is not going to make them suddenly decide to give their money to Sky or BT. Attacking Kodi and their user base will not sort out the underlying issues.

I for one, pay for a full sky subscription yet I still use Kodi from time to time. Why? Because the TV companies and broadcasters are taking the piss.

We've been told time and time again that the more choice the consumer gets, the better it will be for them. However, that is blatantly not true. What has happened in the UK is that as the number of providers has risen with new entrants such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BT and others, rather than being better for the consumer it is much much worse. No longer can you simply pay Sky and get access to everything. Now, you must pay Sky, BT, Netflix and the rest. Rather than being better for the consumer, it's costing us more. A lot more! And that my friends is the problem.

Aside from the cost issue, the messing about that happens in the UK with regards to broadcast rights and when shows will be shown is crazy. It pisses true fans off.

1. Rights are snapped up and then the broadcaster chooses to wait months before broadcasting it.

2. New US shows are not picked up by the UK broadcasters. This leaves the UK consumers little choice. Even when they are eventually picked up say mid-season or after season 1 - see item 1 above.

One very quick example - The way the Chicago Fire/PD/Med are shown in the UK is ridiculous.

And don't get me started on sport. More and more sport is being split between Sky and BT which means you have to subscribe to both - if you are a true fan. What's going to happen when Netflix and others decide that they want some of this sport money as well.

They way things are going, the use of Kodi and streaming in general is only going to get worse while the broadcasters continue to look at money instead of looking at how they can improve the situation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon