Reply to post:

Streetmap loses appeal against Google Maps dominance judgement

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I just had a look at the Streetmaps page, looks like it hasn't evolved for about 10 years."

I also agree with your post. Most of my requirements for mapping are when I'm out and about, which means a 5" phone screen or an 11" netbook, neither of which work well with Streepmaps clunky 1990's thick borders interface. The maps are nice, but I have a problem with where I live. Streemaps says my street doesn't exist, ie "not found" in a search using "street name, town". Google maps doesn't show the street name, but a search does actually return a correct result and put the marker in the right place. Both work with a postcode, but that's not really the point, is it Is it a new build, I hear you ask? Depends on your perspective I suppose. The street's only been around since about 1890!

For the last 25 years, the actual named street has been pedestrianised and Streetmap clearly shows it as an unnamed footpath while Google maps shows the houses and nondescript grey "blankness" where the road used to be.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon