Reply to post: Re: This:

Intel's Atom C2000 chips are bricking products – and it's not just Cisco hit

Lennart Sorensen

Re: This:

They are not saying they will all fail, they are saying that the rate of failure starts to go up more than normal for intel's chips, due to a design mistake on the LPC signals.

So you might have a system that fails in 18 months, or you might have one that fails in 36 months, or one that never fails. Intel almost certainly has statistics of how much the expected increase in failures is after a given amount of time, but they aren't likely to share that. Could be the failure rate is 50% higher than normal, or 5000% higher (I have no idea what the normal failure rate for intel chips is, although based on the ones I have dealt with over the years, I have no seen very many fail). If the normal failure rate was 0.1% and it is now 1% or 5%, well that's certainly a problem, although it might still mean that most systems will be OK. Unfortunately intel isn't likely to share that level of details although I am sure they have done the calculations and hence determined it was bad enough that they had to admit to it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon