Reply to post: Re: I don't see this as a problem

Thought your data was safe outside America after the Microsoft ruling? Think again

Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: I don't see this as a problem

"There is absolutely no reason why people who live outside the US should be concerned with this ruling."

From a quick look at the article the precedent set might be somewhat wider than you think. Consider "Just because the data happened to be held outside the US without the user's knowledge shouldn't mean it is immune to discovery." Looking at this from a European perspective one can easily see some lawyer arguing to extend this to "just because the data happened to be held in the US without the user's knowledge shouldn't mean it is immune to discovery" and then another extending "happened to" to "could".

"It affects you about as much as the UK law forcing one to reveal passwords affects me."

If you were to come to the UK that law would affect you but at least it would be a deliberate action on your part. My data could be sent to the US without my permission or even knowledge, simply by doing business with a UK company which happens to use some US cloud-based services and once there it is not safe; redress is not good enough.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon