Reply to post: Re: Just my two cents...

UK defence secretary: Russian hacks are destabilising Western democracy

martinusher Silver badge

Re: Just my two cents...

This 'lefty media' thing is a canard, certainly so in the US. The most watched cable news -- by a wide margin -- is Fox, the Murdoch outlet. AM radio is dominated by right-wing talkers which have to be heard to be believed (and you still wouldn't believe it if you did if you weren't American).

Its true that a lot of people are fed up with the status quo because the got sold a lie. Many of you won't be old enough to understand what you lost and how it came about but suffice to say that the post war consensus of a job, a place to live, decent health care and a safety net to take care of you if you couldn't -- a deal paid for by the sacrifices of millions in WW1 and WW2 -- was sold out for the promise that everyone was to be rich. Thirty five years ago the promise wasn't realized for many (entirely predictable) so people are not surprisingly very annoyed. This is where things get tricky; there's no point in dumping a bunch of corporatists for a bunch of fascists, you're get just as well screwed with the only compensation of having an endless stream of enemies -- foreign and domestic -- to threaten you and keep you focused.

The Russian hacking thing is a good example of this. We all know the NSA is the world leader in this game (and its worth reading the history of MI6 to get the British perspective). Sure, its likely that the Russians are in there somewhere, but seriously? I'd just a big 'Squirrel!', diverting attention, providing a bogeyman and potentially softening up the public for a more Chinese approach to managing the Internet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon