Reply to post: Re: Big numbers

Brexit at the next junction: Verity's guide to key post-vote skills

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Big numbers

Ich sprechen deutsch, auch, ein bitschen (aber meine deutsch ist shrecklich). I've never given up on proper billions (10^12) due to my interest in the sciences. And also due to that interest, as soon as I learnt about metric units I stopped trying to get my head around the Imperial ones, which never made much sense to me,

I can't recall ever using Imperial units to actually measure anything except short distances (up to a few feet), and then only because whomever I was communicatig with at the time demanded Imperial measure. Pounds and pints were more a visual approximation - that looks to be roughly a pint of liquid, this feels like roughly a couple of pounds of spuds. As for temperature, Centigrade is simply SO much easier in day to day life than Fahrenheit that I don't really understand why the latter ever took hold (except for a short period in the scietific community, oddly enough, when they were trying to get a grip on temperatures below the freezing point of water).

Metric is so much easier you'd have to be braindead to want to return to it IMHO. And I'm 59. Oh,

sure, retain some Imperial units in cases where a bit of tradition is involved, if you want - like the pint of beer - but in everday use?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon