Reply to post: Re: Bah!

Seven pet h8s: Verity is sorely vexed

Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Bah!

I have vague memories of the time wasted hunting for the miss-matched brace back when I first got my hands on a C compiler. Improved compiler error messages have helped, always typing }«left arrow» immediately after { avoids the problem much of the time. When there is a brace problem the best tool I have for fixing the problem promptly is decades of experience. Python indentation is really clear, the parser reports errors on the correct line, and more functionality fits on the screen because a C line with only a } only becomes a python blank line if it improves clarity. Dealing with a python indentation problem is easy for anyone who understands why a C compiler is going to scream if you save your code in docx format.

I have come across config files that use C style braces. When I find one, I want to find a machine belonging to the person responsible, delete a } in the middle of his configuration file and see how long it takes him to fix the problem with only the inevitable crappy diagnostics from his half baked parser.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon