Reply to post: Re: Not that awful

Windows 10 networking bug derails Microsoft's own IPv6 rollout

Ben Tasker

Re: Not that awful

> that's the only REAL advantage that I can think of. That and sharing the same connection with a single 'connected' device, but that part was a given...

Try this:

All my connections go out of the network over a VPN.

I have multiple endpoints in distinct locations with automatic fail-over between them

I want to be able to connect to IPv6 endpoints (but am far less worried about others being able to connect back to me).

With a single endpoint, I might just number the lan using a subnet that gets routed to the endpoint, and tell the endpoint to route packets for the relevant subnets back down the tunnel. It works, all's happy.

But then that endpoint fails and we fail-over to endpoint 2. It also supports IPv6, but obviously has different prefixes routed to it. The LAN now won't work without renumbering.

So, I have three realistic options,

- forsake the VPN and use the subnet assigned by my ISP (assuming they actually support it, which they currently don't). That's a crap option

- configure the LAN so it automatically renumbers following a failover. Do-able but needlessly fiddly

- Use NAT on the endpoints. Simple to set up

Guess which option I've gone with? Granted it's a bit of an edge case, but I don't think it's _that_ unusual a requirement

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon