Reply to post: Still laughing at the title of this article...

AI and robots? Will someone think of the jobs, says HPE CEO Whitman

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Still laughing at the title of this article...

... Meg's strategy around employment at HP hasn't been to automate at all, it's been to replace highly paid, highly skilled workers with their lower paid, lower skilled equivalents in "best shore" locations.

Or as I saw in my team, replace highly paid, highly skilled workers with nothing. Our area was considered a target for WFR because we weren't "revenue generating" (we stood up stuff for customers once they'd paid for it amusingly). We ended up with four times the work spread over a team half the size because they'd laid off the equivalent teams in the other areas of our country that did the same work, leaving us as the only group holding responsibility for it.

I would have loved it if she had the commitment and resolve to see through a radical reshaping of the company, it's middle management and it's processes, she could have made HP an absolute powerhouse. Instead she chose self-amputation. She's playing the old game of margin protection rather than automation and disruption. That isn't the strategy of a forward-thinking technologist. "The New Style of IT" it isn't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon