Reply to post: Re: Thermals

Two new Raspberry Pi models emerge steaming from the oven

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Thermals

To be fair, that's a pretty good way of describing an issue whose symptoms aren't repeatable. I had a similar experience with my first Pi, which was powered from a USB hub. It had a 2.5" hard drive connected and the current draw was well within the limits of the hub's supply. Worked fine for ages, then "went funny" - devices going offline, resets etc. Tried a different hub and drive, which worked fine until eventually the same thing started happening. Now I use a 3.5" drive with its own supply and the Pi is on a phone charger supply. All is well.

My biggest wants are USB3 and Gig Ethernet. The Odroid XU4 seems to be the only thing out there that does this but seems to be a bit overpowered for my needs. I know this isn't what the Pi is for so I don't need anyone to point this out. I know it's for education and bandwidth isn't a priority. But I'd be fine with the CPU and RAM of my Pi 1, but better connectivity. I could live without HDMI too - rarely use it.

I might just plump for the XU4 unless anyone has any other suggestions. I use Slackware on my Pis, and am happy enough building my own kernel so I can have root on btrfs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon