Reply to post:

Happy birthday: Jimbo Wales' sweet 16 Wikipedia fails

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

When I was asked to teach a night school class a few years ago, I told the students that if they used Wikipedia as a cited source, it must be verified by 6 other accredited sources that are not related to the wiki article.

Needless to say there were a lot of complaints and whining... Until as part of the class I got them to write an essay proving that wikipedia is full of incorrect facts and misleading articles. All bar the dimmest of the students had a bit of an eye opener, and never submitted a wikipedia citation again... Aside from 3 who refused to accept wikipedia could be wrong, who failed the essay on it and who insisted on repeatedly citing wikipedia as a credible source for the entire class.

Needless to say, they failed... they complained to the college... they failed in their complaint... 2 of them eventually dropped out because they weren't capable of learning anything that didn't adhere to their narrow minded view of what they thought things should be... the other just dropped my class and took up something simpler instead.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon