Reply to post: Re: Another lost opportunity

Promising compsci student sold key-logger, infects 16,000 machines, pleads guilty, faces jail

JLV
Facepalm

Re: Another lost opportunity

Normally I am unimpressed by the tough-on-crime crowd. Crime needs minimizing but emotional pleas to throw people in jail for long durations for low-impact crimes is stoopid. A well-run country, to me, imprisons a low proportion of their citizens while keeping the others safe.

However, 16000 computers hacked and a substantial propertion of their owners likely having to spend time untanglingling identity theft is NOT victimless. High-reward white collar crime needs deterrence past what their lack of violence would suggest.

Hack _criminally_ for profit? But, wait, if you get caught, all is forgiven and you get hired to be a government hacker? Not much downside, izzit? That sounds pretty effin stupid to me. We also have enough ethics problems already with government spying. Without adding this kind of lowlife to the mix.

10 actual years? Too much. But 2-3 served, with a proper reinsertion program to have his legal skills benefit society and himself again? Sounds about right.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon