Reply to post: Re: If you're running Windows 10...

Now that's a Blue Screen of Death: Windows 10 told me to jump off a cliff

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: If you're running Windows 10...

@Patrician - you, and it would seem, some others, appear to have mssed the point (and possibly mislaid a sense of proportion momentarily).

Not having the mouse working for a GUI-controlled system is, I'd argue, a fairly major problem, and it'd certainly annoy the heck out of me if an OS (any OS) failed to register the presence of a mouse that is in working order and plugged in when the system starts up. So I can totally understand the frustration of someone who's experienced that. What I can't understand is how on earth they came to experience that situation, particularly with Mint; the only scenario I can think of where it might happen (assuming the kit is in good working order) is if the kit is somewhat exotic.

Now, given that it tends to be kit manufacturers being slow in supporting Linux (hence a delay of some months before Penguinista programmers manage to sort out something that'll make 'em work), that's hardly the fault of Linux, and indeed, a lot of kit comes with warnings that it's designed only forone OS or another. Despite which, a lot of kit supposedly only intended for use with Windows DOES work with Linux, due to the efforts of large numbers of Penguinista programmers.

I repeat though - if we're talking standard 2 button + trackwheel USB mouses, I've never even heard of anyone having a problem with one with Linux, let alone experienced such a problem, hence my curiosity (and willingness to see if I can help) as to how come someone evidently DID have a problem. (I never experienced problems with pre-USB mice either, incidentally).

And as for an OS replacement - NO OS can be an exact replacement for another in terms of functionality, device support etc for a range of reasons that I'm sure you're perfectly aware of, so it's always going to come down to what you're using the OS for. For a lot of people, Linux can give a perfectly good user experience for their daily needs, and is liable to cause them a lot less grief than Windows. For a lot of office workers, the OS is becoming less of an issue with everything heading towards the cloud and web-based interfaces. However, if folk want to play the latest FPS games and suchlike, then it's still the case that Windows is what they need to be looking at.

I started using Linux way back not due to ideology but simply because Windows was giving me such a shit experience compared to what I'd been used to (Amigas). For a while, the Linux experience was worse, but - IMHO - Linux overtook Windows in usability and lack of frustration caused years ago. YMMV. For me these days Windows doesnt even come close to Linux in terms of usability and lack of grief caused in use (I have to use Windows at work, but use Linux at home), it's much, much worse. But that's just me. Maybe you've had different experiences.

Bottom line - if (A certain OS) works for you, use it - and if (Another OS) doesn't, don't use that. No need to be precious about yours or anybody else's choice in OS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon