Reply to post: Re: Mature market shake out

Congrats, PC slingers. That's now FIVE straight years of shrinking sales

Loud Speaker

Re: Mature market shake out

It still functions fine and does the intended job.

Nope. I have only just learned how to use the important features, and got it configured the way I want it after 2 years. Most of which were spent Googling how to work around stupid UI decisions.

No I don't want to start over again. Its not a car - it wont rust away. Apart from replacing the noisy fans, and adding an SSD, it is unlikely to need much maintenance. I don't play games, and I sure as hell dont want kids playing games on it, so no need for better graphics or faster processor. And, most likely, the new machines will be missing useful features that the older ones have. (Serial and parallel ports, for example*).

And the case is big enough for an internal LTO drive, so if the cloud goes TITSUP, I still have my data.

For Christmas I upgraded the home server to a £60 Sun T2000! [Originally £10,000] and, though 6 years old, perfectly capable of another 10 years operation 24/7. As I write this, the family car is sitting outside in snow on salted roads, and is also going fine after 6 years.

Why do you think I would replace a machine that is ONLY two years old and still working? Its not like the days of upgrading a PC to an XT!

Serial port connects to UPS, parallel port controlled the Christmas tree lights!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon