Reply to post: Re: Having seen the latest NHS IT Software in action

Corrupt NHS official jailed for £80k bribe over tech contract

TDog

Re: Having seen the latest NHS IT Software in action

Worked in the NHS - Clinician who ended up running IT for a community NHS Trust. I actually don't know how to handle this situation where the software sucks and the implied questions and absolute questions are unethical.

Simple example from Anglia Railways - wanted an immediate refund as the beggars cancelled the train I was physically on for some indeterminate reason. Went to the ticket office with the current tickets and asked for a refund. All worked well until they asked for my name and address. WHY? It was a question on the form. They hadn't asked for it to sell me the ticket but refused to give me a refund if I didn't give that information.

I can still see no reason for it other than marketing and data gathering. Prats. Similarly in the NHS there were an infinite (slight exaggeration) set of questions that were repeated ad nauseam or re-iterated questions previously asked.

Looking at current community software it appears to have been created (Not specifically talking about system one [and every time I need a repeat prescription I can not find the appropriate menu process without experimenting, I have yet to experience dementia but this POS at least lets me know what it will be like] but talking to my wife who has to use it every day, and hearing how user unfriendly it is, I somewhat regret the days of restricted choices.

All that has happened is a proliferation of deep menus driven by HR and management - how could you not know that the access to form 83B, subversion etc., etc., etc.

Life, don't talk to me about life.

Just in case anyone in the NHS reads this who is involved in commissioning, the primary aim is to make it easier for the clinicians. And hence for the patients. NOT YOU F*CKERS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon