Reply to post: Re: Thanks for the heads up

Routes taken by UK prosecutors over supply of modified TV set-top boxes

MR J

Re: Thanks for the heads up

KODI previously known as XBMC (X Box Media Centre).

The biggest problem is that KODI will suffer (and grow) because of this. I have met a few people who say they watch "free" movies that are just now in the movie theatres because they purchased a box that has KODI.

This is akin to R4/N5/DSOne and all of those other cards that would let you play copied games on a NintendoDS. I purchased two of the things for the kids, made backups of every cart we had and then let the kids have one single card in their DS that wouldn't get lost (as it was never removed!). Due to the ability of these cards to play copies however, they became illegal. Owning one is not currently illegal, just buying or selling them. My cards also had lots of neat user-made programs/apps on them (like mp3 player).

I support them locking up the sellers who install things that help push piracy. I hate the way that content is locked and the price that often gets charged, but that doesn't mean I support stealing it.

I know someone who was selling "imported" KODI boxes and he has handed over his Facebook account to SKY after they sent him legal notice that he was selling hardware that was being used to infringe. I asked at the time if it was just a vanilla install or if he had specific apps/channels set up to view content and he suggested it only tuned into European servers that showed things legally (I took it to mean he knew he was doing wrong).

The downside of the plods doing the work for content providers is that we will see things like KODI or PLEX come under fire for making life easier for users. Roku, Sky Now, Apple TV = will probably be our only "legal" choices if they had their way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon