Reply to post: Re: I really hate GIT

Splunk: Why we dumped Perforce for Atlassian's Bitbucket of Gits

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I really hate GIT

Can't say I've tried Mercurial, which would be one of the main competitors to git… but I remember git from when it was officially the back-end "plumbing" to be used with a "porcelain" package like cogito. It was officially the "stupid" version control system, hence its name.

It has matured a lot. A big part I suspect in its adoption would be its status as the standard Linux kernel version control system, Linus having started both Linux and git. Prior to git, well for a while some used Bitkeeper, Linux/MIPS used CVS, and much was tracked by hand!

At the time I knew the basics of CVS, and knew Subversion reasonably well. Git took a bit of getting used to being distributed versus centralised, but little by little I began to get to understand it. It is now my go-to version control system.

There's a lot there and rarely does one need to understand it all at once. It isn't without its frustrations, but it's one version control system that wields a lot of power, if one takes the time to get to know it. Bisect and rebase are two really handy tools I find… the former for finding where something broke, the latter for keeping one's local branch in sync with some up-stream branch.

The only distributed system I have used other than Git is Bazaar, and frankly, I find it aptly-named, never did quite understand what was going on there, sort of like Subversion, but distributed.

There are a few others like Darcs and monotone, but my advice to new starters would be to look at Git and Mercurial as those seem to be the two main contenders.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021