Reply to post: Re: Macros

Ransomware scum: 'I believe I'm a good fit. See attachments'

BongoJoe

Re: Macros

I write macros because the things I need to calculate are either difficult, cumbersome or impossible to express in terms of the built in functions of Excel, but translate rather elegantly into VBA.

That's me too. In some of my spreadsheets it's more than just mere 'macros' but properly constructed code and I would say that 99% of the stuff I write code for just isn't practical or possible with the front end of Excel.

Sometimes I use the COM interface to get the data out but quite often it's better to have the code within Excel and run it there. It also has the advantage that I can give the sheet to someone else and ask them if they can see the Date/Time in a certain cell. If they can then I know that it's "installed correctly" and it will run without having to go through endless installation routines and the like.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned macros isn't the same as VBA: it's not even in the same league and this morning I was working on a circular linked list with three sets of pointers and try doing that and what it's used for by anything via the Ribbon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon