Reply to post: Saved by no support!

Programmer finds way to liberate ransomware'd Google Smart TVs

Chris Gray 1
Meh

Saved by no support!

In my old place I used to be able to see/hear the TV from the kitchen and dining room. So, when planning a move to this new place, that was a consideration. The only solution that seemed acceptable was to have a TV that could receive over WiFi to show me the evening news. So, a friend and I picked up the cheapest 40" TV with WiFi that we could find in Walmart. It was a Philips smart TV. Little did I know that it didn't actually have a browser, so I couldn't do what I wanted anyway. But, we were able to trace out enough of the ancient in-wall cable to provide it with an input, so that was OK - the local cable company had a sale on cable terminals the day I went looking - about CDN $60 to purchase.

But, I have played with the WiFi connection and its "smartness". After moving my router to give enough signal, the built-in YouTube works OK, and a friend tried his NetFlix account and that works fine too. However "NetTV" shows nothing. The web tells me that Philips does not support an app store for Canada (where I am). So, I'm saved from malware by the manufacturer (presumeably Chinese) not supporting me!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon