Reply to post: Install your own Big Brother

US cops seek Amazon Echo data for murder inquiry

MachDiamond Silver badge

Install your own Big Brother

Over 50% of people are below average! Internet webcams, video door bells, IoT and devices such as Echo are great ways of spying on yourself. Since the Echo is always listening for a key word, it shouldn't be very hard to have it listen for key phrases or catalog what languages are being spoken within its range of hearing. If I make an online search, I have to take a deliberate action, typing, to make the search. That might make me a bit more circumspect about what I search for. So many people respond with "I don't have anything to hide so I don't care." Wellllll, that's great until something happens or you say too many key words in a short period of time that triggers something. Cory Doctorow has a great talk on Privacy vs. Secrecy.

Any device that records something that you do be it audio, video, utility usage, will be used against you in a court of law.

I wouldn't be surprised if an Echo placed in a bedroom detects every time a couple (or more) has sex. Fall under the average and you will start getting more ads for various pills and aids.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon