Reply to post: Re: The family coracle is pwned

Evolved DNSChanger malware slings evil ads at PCs, hijacks routers

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: The family coracle is pwned

Nope, no, and not really.

These are things a paranoid Windows user needs to fear. Do you run a lightly to barely protected Windows machine with IE/Chrome as your primary browser? Do you visit lots of dodgy sites, and generally install crap on a whim, or let kids install all sorts of garbage on it? If you said no, then you do not need to worry. These are things that people who are generally careless while using the Internet need to bother with. The iOS devices are going to be very secure. They emit no extra services, other than the 1st party stuff, which you can lock down. Getting your router pwned is a very, very rare event, and almost impossible if you are mostly careful about your Internet usage. I know I don't need to worry much because; 1) I can clean up whatever mess occurs, 2) I don't use Windows, 3) if I were to use it it would be with Ad Block and other JavaScript blocking enabled, 4) I know how to verify my DNS lookups at the command line and via packet capture and out-of-band, 5) I use iOS Safari for most browsing, so mostly safe again, and 6) my browsers are double-NATted, so you would have to both hijack a browser behind my Airport firewall, then out to the comtrend. Nothing is on that net except other routers, all of different manufacturer type. That's it, unless the exterior network can be bridged and the attack made there, there's no getting inside this network via advert hijacking. Ever. Pwning the router once inside would be trivial no matter how many NATs I sit behind, if they are connected and available, but they end up on weirdly numbered 10.net class C addresses, so kinda confusing to isolate it, but not impossible. Otherwise, this is not very exciting. I don't see adverts from dodgy web sites, nor any from TV anymore. I don't miss them. Sounds painful. :P

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon