Reply to post: Re: Fair Use already Streisanded

HBO slaps takedown demand on 13-year-old girl's painting because it used 'Winter is coming'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Fair Use already Streisanded

" It's possible that HBO objected to the use of that phrase as the file name when it was uploaded. It would then appear in a search along with their branded merchandise. "

Did you actually try putting that into Google before coming out with that attempt at pro-HBO PR?

They are totally Streisanded at the moment, the front page is full of this story whereas if they had done the obvious thing - i.e. nothing whatsoever - an obscure file wouldn't make it onto any search page anyone is likely to look at. Because Google has clever algorithms called "Page Rank" to ensure that's exactly what happens. If I put a file called Winter is Coming and a picture of the various tits on my bird table (as distinct from the various tits that work for HBO IP department) it won't make it onto page 300, let alone the first page.

As it is, Kasparov's book of the same name is on about page 2. I await with interest what HBO does about that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon