Reply to post: Glad to hear

Is the world ready for a bare-metal OS/2 rebirth?

John Savard

Glad to hear

Glad to hear that this bare-metal OS/2 will be affordable when it becomes available.

I know that a lot of Linux software was ported to OS/2 in the old days, so it doesn't surprise me that this will be possible again.

Windows 10 has some issues that are making people think twice about staying with Windows; the fact that updating is compulsory is the one most obvious to me. None the less, it's sadly nearly certain that, indeed, Blue Lion will not be able to displace Windows on the desktop.

What would be required, just as a matter of curiosity, for it to have any chance (still, admittedly, a very slim one) of doing that, though? What if...

it included Open GL, in such a form that it was easy for both AMD and Nvidia to supply drivers for their video cards that worked on it, and they did so (or the Blue Lion people modified the Linux drivers if source is available)...

and, say, two of the major video game companies started making OS/2 versions of their popular releases!

Dream on. But that reminds me; there's this thing called Steam. They're making a version of Linux called SteamOS so that they can sell boxes that run Steam games downloaded from the Internet. If a capability of running Linux programs could be integrated into this version of OS/2, so that it could be hooked into the Steam network...

Gamers would prefer a less limiting choice of games, I think, and so they would still stick with Windows. But whatever options exist to make it more usable should be explored...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon