Reply to post:

'Toyota dealer stole my wife's saucy snaps from phone, emailed them to a swingers website'

Kaltern

Used to work in a T-Mobile shop. Part of my day-to-day back then was to send phones out for repair, and to ensure there were no memory cards/sim cards still in the phone - to make sure they wouldn't be lost.

I hadn't been there long, and when I first checked these phones out, my boss, and his sidekick asst manager were always asking me to make sure I leave the mem cards in the office for safekeeping. As an inexperienced newbie I obliged without thought, until one day it occurred to me that they really should be using the locked cubbyholes we use when a phone is returned to us, ready to be given to the customer.

Turns out that every night after locking up, if there were any cards in the office, those two would lock themselves in the office, and go through the cards, copying anything they found of interest, and well, I don't know what they did with what they found... I prefer to not think about it.

Of course, 15 years down the line, I'm wiser and sadly, even more aware that private data never remains private. Even so, it still irritates me when people say 'don't take selfies in the first place'. Why not? Just because someone CAN go though your phone and wank to anything they find suitable, doesn't mean that they should. And coming on here and reiterating that it is going to happen because 'it just does' simply reinforces in those that do, that it's perfectly alright and acceptable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon