Reply to post: Re: Blackmail! (remember Monty Python?)

UK's new Snoopers' Charter just passed an encryption backdoor law by the backdoor

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Blackmail! (remember Monty Python?)

"The mass collection of all this data gives whoever has access to it the ability to pressure anyone in public office to 'do their bidding'. "

It's been that way for a while now.

Pre-Snowden, those close to power (MPs, civil servants, etc) were told in no uncertain terms that they could be snooped on and therefore ought to toe the line, just in case. The Party Whips have had this role for decades but technology has simplified their snooping.

During that same era, anyone in the great unwashed who suggested that unlawful snooping might be going on was accused of being a tinfoil hatter. Those discreetly recruiting for the snooping services even had to invent all kinds of fanciful cover stories (I know, I was interviewed, along with some senior architects I knew from a major telco equipment manufacturer).

Post Snowden, lots of folk know that mass snooping was and is possible and indeed know it's been going on, legally or otherwise, while the same folks that were making tinfoil hattery accusations have changed their tune to "everyone knew it was going on, where's the problem?".

And the politicians, civil servants, etc, still have to toe the line, if they value their careers.

Blackmail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACg6IuFfMJE (not legitimately available in UK :()

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon