Reply to post: focusing on how people 'feel'

Meet the Loughborough 'emo' boffins who predicted Trump's victory

bombastic bob Silver badge
Pirate

focusing on how people 'feel'

this in and of itself is an indicator of an even BIGGER problem - emotion-based voting. I often say that I feel with my fingers [fingers turned upward and wiggling, with cupped hands] and think with my BRAIN, because *ANY* decision based on emotion is likely to have a similar result as BEER GOGGLES.

but 'feel' is how people are usually manipulated. it's so easy to stir up emotional unthinking responses.

And yet the Trump phenomenon was NOT emotion-based, for the most part. At least, not from where I saw it.

So the premise that seeing how people FEEL via some kind of twitter-scan-bot is going to reveal election results, they should stop at the emotion part, except perhaps for judging liberals and liberalism, because all *THEY* *DO* is "feel".

Trump's campaign and election was a mass "fed up with it" reaction to politicians in general, who have failed to correctly respond to the electorate on important issues. Brexit is similar, as in when EU fails to properly respond to the UKs needs, you get "that reaction".

Not a lot of FEEL there, except maybe "frustration".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021