Reply to post:

Stay out of my server room!

Nolveys
Gimp

Let's see, there's the server closet in which it rains every spring. The servers in there are placed on little chunks of wood to prevent them from sitting directly in pooling water.

There's the server closet which contains a furnace, water heater and hydronic equipment to heat the entire office. Oddly enough the temperature is somewhat reasonable in the summer. In the winter it's probably pushing 40C. With the massive amount of complex and occasionally sketchy piping I'm just waiting for the day when the server, switch and comms are introduced to a torrent of boiling water.

Then there's the server...thing...which consists of a 12 ft by 3 ft area with a shelf mounted on one side at neck height and another mounted, on the opposite side, at gut height. Getting in there requires some interesting contortions. It's also filthy as dust from the attached shop accumulates in thick layers.

Another one has a little broom specifically to get rid of the vermin feces. I recommend against sitting on the chair in that particular closet.

The best one I've seen was a crawl space full of our old friend vermin feces along with fiberglass insulation and broken glass. The server was placed on some old 2x4s to prevent it from resting directly on the dirt floor. Luckily I was only at that place twice. I wouldn't be surprised if they had relocated their server to the bottom of a literal cesspit by now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon