Reply to post: Re: Nest is killing it

Why I just bought a MacBook Air instead of the new Pro

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Nest is killing it

agree with you on Nest being a cuckoo

My current test IoT domotic systems are based on French NETATMO, just one IoT provider amongst many; BUT all my juicy data stays at home (on SD-card), and only metadata is sent to my 'phone through a VPN; I can choose my own cloud storage e.g. DropBox if I do wish to offsite the images. I like end-user control! No 'recurring' monthly fees.

My thermostat works flawlessly - even with the internet down, (this wasn't the case with last years' test IoT company Momit from Spain)

The Netatmo stuff claims to be Apple IoT/"Home" compatible, but as the first step for this requires uploading my macOS keychain to iCloud - very much à la Google NEST - I think I'll miss that bit. All the Netatmo tech, incl wobbly sensors work, very well so far and I don't have to talk to any AI to make it all go.

I just looked at the arstechnica link, my Netatmo biometric indoor home security camera has actually achieved the opposite of those false alarms from nest protect. The Netatmo cam listens for smoke alarms, and sends an alert message to the mobile app when it hears a traditional smoke alarm. I have a 5-years old really excellent 'classic' kiddee lithium photoelectric system downstairs, obviously non-networked. Now it has become integrated into IoT, a really high quality sensor - with a very reliable (so-far messaging) - It does also think a vacuum-cleaner is an alarm, but I now expect this.

The kiddee alarmed recently, and when I phoned home responding to the Netatmo app it was a downdraft/blowback from the chimney affecting the wood-burning stove, which hadn't been noticed otherwise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon