Reply to post:

Why I just bought a MacBook Air instead of the new Pro

albsure

Apple are historically famous for going in their own direction and ignoring the mainstream industry and going in their own direction. That's what makes them Apple. Yet people are complaining that Apple are doing exactly what they always do and have been for the last 20 odd years!

Hahahaaha

Why is anyone shocked?

The reason they do this is EXACTLY the same reason why google drop software and api's routinely (remember the rss stuff?). It allows Apple to deal with the pain upfront and gives them a free run at designing new machines without legacy issues. If you try to hedge you end up like Microsoft. Trying to make new OS's with tools and services from 20yrs ago still hanging around causing all sorts of issues.

People in this thread have been saying they have been using their MacBooks for over 5yrs and it's still doing well in some cases. That's because it's was cutting edge then when it didn't have to be. Who was releasing retina screens before they did? I remember all the outrage at how some websites and apps didn't use retina and Apple should have waited. Well guess what, 5yrs later you are benefiting from that move.

And in 5 yrs time when your new MacBook needs a new graphics card and you can just plug it in to whatever side port you need because it's got USB c/thunderbolt 3, you'll be happy. And when you realise that your new camera just automatically syncs photos directly to your laptop or cloud account and you don't need a sd card you'll be like oh, what a good purchase that was.

The fact is Apple always cater for the future, not for now. If you want NOW get a Dell. It's always been like this. I'm happy with that approach. Just admit you like the comfort of the pc world. That's your speed. Fine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon