Reply to post: Re: And then...

Emergency services 4G by 2020? And monkeys could fly out of my butt

Commswonk
FAIL

Re: And then...

An AC wrote: No, I don't think it's going happen on time either (just for the record).

My version reads: No, I don't think it's going happen on time either (just for the record).

Quite apart from the network engineering that is required there is the not small matter of portable and vehicle equipment manufacturers designing suitable equipment and getting it manufactured in sufficiently large quantities. IIRC TETRA was fully tested (albeit on a much smaller scale) before any seriously big and costly decisions were made, including some major trials on Jersey. After quite a long time there was a carefully phased roll - out (over many months) across the UK with separate networks operating in different counties (i.e. force areas) before there was a "big bang" to change over to everyone using the same MNC.

This "plan" seems to be based on the idea that it will all somehow just "work", and as doubtless everyone on this forum is painfully aware big projects don't work that way.

Does anyone know if there is actually a coherent specification drawn up against an equally coherent User Requirement? And has anyone actually trialled any equipment against that specification?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon