Reply to post:

Panicked WH Smith kills website to stop sales of how-to terrorism manuals

Lotaresco
FAIL

"I'm sorry, but you're mistaken, and I've actually heard the evidence for myself -- I was within earshot of the Brixton nailbomb attack by Stuart Copeland, if you remember that particular bedroom Nazi saddo nutcase."

ROFL.

The Brixton nail bomb attack was perpetrated by David Copeland. Stewart Copeland was the drummer for The Police, you even got his name wrong which is a spectacular fail.

I used to work not far away from where Copeland lived. He was a relatively well known local nutcase and although he did download a "terrorists handbook" nothing that he did was particularly unusual or difficult to work out without one. He bought fireworks, unpacked them, assembled them into a bomb, created a very simple electrical detonator and wrapped his bombs in nails. People had been doing elements of these things for decades before the appearance of any "handbooks" and the manufacture of pipe bombs was fairly common knowledge in the (slightly posh) school that I attended in the 60s.

It is not possible to suppress information effectively. Trying to control terrorism by controlling information is as pointless as trying to stop a flood with a bucket of sand. Copeland should have been detected much earlier. He was showing overt signs that he was in need of help since the age of 12, but the government policy of shutting down care for people with mental problems meant that he was "under the radar" at the time that he was most vulnerable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon