Reply to post: Re: How can any decent voter (4 Greyeye)

US citizens crash Canadian immigration site after Trump victory

Stevie

Re: How can any decent voter (4 Greyeye)

"People voted for change, not because they're racists, haters or bigots. People who have been left out, cornered, and losing job that they had for decades are marching out and voted for a change."

And I can understand that anger and bitterness, coming as I did out of the manufacturing draw-back of the late 1970s while living in Coventry. When I left there were one in three working a full week on my street. Yes, I certainly understand the emotional state of the electorate in those defunct factory towns and their need for positive change.

But exactly how does a man who has dodged the Vietnam draft (five deferments is now a qualifying event for High Office it seems), not paid a cent in income tax for at least 18 years, exported all the manufacturing of his signature clothing line to China, and stiffed every small businessman who ever contracted for work with him answer this need? He even imported his wife for gosh sakes (cheap shot, I know, but payback is a bitch).

I only ask because from my uninformed perspective Donald Trump would seem to have no common ground with the people who voted for him. His rich father and rich Friends in High Places have shielded him time and again from the results of his many failures in a way those same friends have worked to make unavailable to these voters (let any of *them* try and declare bankrupcy to escape credit card debt and see how far they get). He had a great opportunity to act according to his ideals of Greatness in America years ago when he decided to market a line of branded clothing, but chose instead to sweatshop the whole thing, which would seem to scream loud about his commitment to the idea of bringing back manufacturing jobs to America.

People I speak to say they support Trump because "he will upset those people in Washington". There seems to be a clear disconnect between that idea and the fact that they themselves will be living in the results of that "upset" for four years and however long it takes a Democrat to clean up the mess afterward.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon