Reply to post: How do you define cheap?

Cheap, lousy tablets are killing the whole market says IDC

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

How do you define cheap?

About 5 years ago, I bought an e-ink Kindle, the cheapest one they had. It still works, it still gets updated, it still is the best e-book reader I have. Charge it once a week.

A year later I bought a Gen2 Fire 7, the cheapest one they had. It still works, it still gets updated, it still has the best sound system of any device I have, phone, tablet or notebook.

I have a Gen4 Fire 6 and 3 Gen5 Fire 7s (the $49 one), all were the cheapest one I could buy at the time. They all still work, they all still get updated, they are all used heavily every day.

My phone is an LG Optimus V that I bought years ago on Ebay, used, for $35. Still works, etc.

My last iThing was an iMac (Blue Ice Cube, OS/X) that I paid $1600 for. In the same week, I bought a white box Lindows computer from WalMart for $199. The iMac had a 700mz PPC. The white box had a 800 mz AMD Duron. Remember how the FanBois said that it didn't matter that the PPC ran slower than the Intel because the PPC was so much more efficient? I put Yellow Dog Linux on the iMac and tested the performance against the white box on Lindows. The junker ran circles around the iMac. To beat a dead horse... The $200 junker was faster than the $1600 Apple.

The iMac died (video card) in less than a year, but was repaired under warranty. Then at the end of the second year, it couldn't find the hard drive any more. Out with the trash. The white box WalMart computer with the AMD Duron cpu ran for 5 more years.

I had a friend who worked for General Electric. When he got a promotion, he talked them into getting him a computer at home. They bought him an IBM 486 DX2 PS/2 with a scsi drive. The cost for that machine was $9,000. I bought a white box 486 DX2 computer from Computer Shopper for $1300. We ran performance test on both. There was almost no difference. To top it off, the isa drive on the white box was actually faster than the scsi drive, PS/2 bus and all. Can you buy an IBM PC today?

People eventually wise up and see that the Emperor (IBM then, Apple now) has no clothes.

Somebody want to give me that "you get what you pay for" crap again?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon