Reply to post: Oh, Alistair...

What will happen when I'm too old to push? (buttons, that is)

Bernard M. Orwell
Paris Hilton

Oh, Alistair...

I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm going to guess you're a similar age to me (~50), but you must never, never give up. If you do they have won...you know, them. The Millenials.

Personally, I delight in their lack of understanding of the tech in their hands. I was there when the tech began, and I will be there when the next generation of tech emerges and they all queue up to worship at the altar of shiny lights, to gawp at the smoothness of the UI and to drool at the shortness of arcane application names that serve some strange purpose that they think they cannot live without.

But we, the aged ones, know the truth of it. It's all ones and zeroes down there; electrons flipping around circuits and logic gates snapping to and fro. Such it always was and such it always will be, and it is us, US, the original "Computer Wizards" that remain the guardians of the secret knowledge.

They may have high level understanding and swift reflexes with which to tap their buttons and send their unintelligible gabble to each other, but rare is the one who has The Understanding.

Now, where did I leave my dried frog pills?

(Paris, because *they* will never understand the reference.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon