Reply to post: Re: Wot! No rear facing Radar?

Tesla's big news today:
sudo killall -9 Autopilot

tiggity Silver badge

Re: Wot! No rear facing Radar?

Maybe check the type of car the middle lane "hog" has.

I have a less than 1000 cc car, I often find myself in lane 2 (with lane 1 full of slow 56 MPH limited lorries)

However lane 3 traffic tends to be full of people driving way in excess of the 70 MPH limit and for me to safely overtake a vehicle holding me up in lane 2 (given the poor acceleration of my small engine car) I need either:

a) A nice big gap in lane 3 so I can execute the overtaking manouvere, likelihood of this on busy UK motorway essentially zero.

b) Pull out into lane 3 small gap and hope nearest boy racer type is actually paying enough attention to slow down and avoid rear ending me. This relies on an almost insane degree of trust in the good driving of someone who is already flouting the speed limit massively.

Given the inherent dangers of b, then this is a contributory factor as to why you often get clogged middle lane, and why so many of those cars are not high performance vehicles...

I prefer Motorways with always on speed cameras, in that scenario there is not the ludicrous speed differentials between lane 2 & 3 so it is actually safe to overtake by moving from lane 2 to 3 in my weedy acceleration car without imminent risk of collision due to inattentive lane 3 driver.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon