Reply to post: Attack Surface

HomeKit is where the dearth is – no one wants Apple's IoT tech

cambsukguy

Attack Surface

...No, not a request to damage MS equipment.

The attack surface of my drill-proof, dead-locked, 12-lever Chubb door lock is small, by any reasonable standard. I bought it because of the small key (used for Safety Deposit boxes originally apparently).

The house is much better attacked in other ways, which is the point really.

To allow even the possibility that it could be opened by anyone, from anywhere, seems to widen the attack surface by a considerable margin - to almost anyone on earth in fact.

So, despite the fact that I can open my car remotely, I won't be doing the same with my door lock.

However, I might consider it if it required, like my car lock, proprietary hardware, short-range RF and thus physical proximity to reduce the surface back again.

I would also consider a good biometric device for the same reason (an iris scanner for instance).

Just like my car isn't worth breaking into really (manufacturers specific radio unit and no money), my house isn't worth any real effort to break into either (heavy TV, attached to a wall, mid-range laptop, no jewels, old tablet, pitiful amounts of cash).

The lock is really to stop twats walking in off the street and the more desperate opportunist who thinks they might get lucky.

The biggest danger from burglars (since I would not get hung up on the 'intrusion' at all) is the fact that they might trash the place after a poor 'take'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon