Reply to post: Re: Blackberry is widely credited with creating the first smartphone,

Virtual reality is actually made of smartphones

Mage Silver badge

Re: Blackberry is widely credited with creating the first smartphone,

True, though actually it's an erroneous credit.

Though Nokia had the Communicator 9110 in 1998 and the 9000 in 1996.

I'm not sure Nokia made the first smartphone, though it was certainly the first successful on in business.

"The product line was continued in 2000 by the introduction of Nokia 9210 Communicator which introduced a wide TFT colour internal screen, 32-bit ARM9-based RISC CPU at 52 MHz, 16 MB of internal memory, enhanced web abilities and most importantly saw the operating system change to the Symbian operating system. The 9210i launched in 2002 increased the internal memory to 40 MB, video streaming and flash 5 support for the web browser."

I had a 9210i and contract that allowed two GSM channels, thus 28.8k. Lots of home users only had that speed then. It marked the switch to a version of Symbian and ARM. Earlier versions were x86!

A touch screen was envisiaged in 2002, but the development of the GUI families on Symbian used in Communicator was killed off around then in favour of inferior S60 GUI on Symbian. Nokia Politics.

The BlackBerry 850 in 1999 was maybe third pager product and included email. I'd not regard it as a smartphone. Did BlackBerry have a real Smartphone in Nokia 9000 sense before 2003?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon