Reply to post: Re: If you've managed to get audio and video

Skype for Linux users can crash-test video calls in v1.10 Alpha

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: If you've managed to get audio and video

Best not to bite, but I will.

Anyone that has used Linux Mint from even the most basic method, booting from ISO/USB knows different, that audio and video work flawlessly 'out of the box' on an extensive range of Laptops, Desktops over an 0-10 year lifespan, *Lenovo's SSD Raid driver excepted.

Actually, I recommend People boot from a Linux MInt (17 or 18) USB before installing Windows 10 on their machine, because it will give you a good indication of things that won't work (or require some work to get working) on Windows 10, if they don't work on Linux Mint's USB boot.

Linux Mint is far easier to try without actually installing, unlike trying to rollback Windows 10 to Windows 7, when device drivers don't work as they did, i.e. Fingerprint readers. Validity (now Synaptics) I'm looking at you!

Penguinistas should start making jokes about 12 hour waits for Windows Update in Windows 7 over the last year, oh hold on...no joke.

Those 12 hour Windows 7 Update waits are still 'out of the box' for a new install of Windows 7 SP1 from Microsoft's own downloadable ISO. (Yes, its fixable now, but was only fixed properly on 13th September with Win7 patch KB3172605).

Microsoft really don't want you to re-install Windows 7. You have to wonder why?

The Windows 7 Update issue has wasted more time in my lifetime than Linux ever did (even with early versions from 1990's) trying to get audio and video to work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon