Reply to post:

Skype for Linux users can crash-test video calls in v1.10 Alpha

Nate Amsden

yeah pretty sad huh. Still have skype for linux 4.3 on my system though my skype usage has gone down about 99% since the company I work for changed to slack about a year ago. At the time 90% of my usage was text chat, probably 8% voice chat and 2% video chat. Had been using Skype on linux since about 2010 with very few issues.

With all of the resources MS has, to go around killing native clients for skype(even native clients on some windows versions!!) and breaking compatibility with so many installed systems out there is just unbelievably stupid. Almost up there with their attempts to try to force so many people to upgrade to windows 10.

fortunately I don't feel much pain anymore as I don't use skype much, when the native 4.3.x app stops connecting to their service maybe that will be the time I just delete it and forget about it.

slack for linux sucks too, memory usage wise anyway. Have to restart it at least once a week it can easily grow to 4GB of memory(larger than any other process on my laptop including vmware and firefox), skype was able to run for weeks or months at a time and be stable for me anyway.

Oh should clarify a bit, I am told the slack for linux is not a native client either but rather a bullshit wrapper around chrome and a webapp on top. wtf.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon