Reply to post:

Windows updates? Just trust us, says Microsoft executive

Donkey Molestor X

> Strangely that's exactly what happens with zero day exploits, except in your utopia *everyone* is a dumb mf who is part of the problem.

yes, both people who allow automatic updates and people who manually scrutinize and approve updates are vulnerable to zero day exploits. however, the person who manually scrutinizes and approves updates for his home computer is additionally vulnerable every minute he has his computer on and is not installing a patch or, probably, forgetting about it completely because he'll get distracted by something else.

your logic is like saying a knife-proof vest or a bullet-proof vest for a policeman is "useless" because it doesn't protect him from a V-2 rocket falling on him from out of the sky.

ironically dear old auntie or granny with her computer set to accept patches automatically is LESS of a disease vector on the internet than Mr. Badass-sysadmin-@-home who says "Oh I'll test that patch as soon as I back up my drives and make a new slipstreamed install image and unmount my NAS and oh this is boring I'm going to play video games now".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon