Reply to post: Re: "People believe that security has become too complex "

NIST: People have given up on cybersecurity – it's too much hassle

Vic

Re: "People believe that security has become too complex "

You can download GPG right now for some crypto-magic based on RSA. Try to make productive use of it or even integrate it into an e-mail client, then. Good luck.

If you have people who want to use it, it's really not that tricky; the difficult bit is getting people to care.

Setting up GPG or similar requires a key exchange just like getting a new house requires getting the keys. But whilst most PHBs understand why having keys to your house is a good idea, I've yet to find a single one who understands why one might want to do the same with email.

We need to start with a new OS, first and foremost, that compartimentalizes the user interface adequately (like in QubesOS), then build simple, usable tools on top.

Building simple tools that do one thing well is something of which I wholeheartedly approve - that is the Unix Way. But compartmentalising the UI? Most people seem to be against that - integration seems to be the order of the day. The ability to cut&paste between different devices makes my skin crawl, but that is what seems to be popular right now.

But starting a new OS? Probably not.

Vic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon