Reply to post:

Google may just have silently snuffed the tablet computer

Boothy

I've had a few Nexus devices, last one being the Nexus 5 (original). They always seemed to be a reasonable spec, at a reasonable price, without being messed with by carriers and manufacturers.

But now, the last Nexus devices, and the new Pixels, just seem expensive to me!

So last July (when my Nexus 5 finally died on me) I decided to go somewhere else, and bought a OnePlus 3 instead for £328.99, and have been very happy with it.

The OnePlus 3 seems very comparable with the Pixel XL for screen size, CPU etc. With many things being better on the OnePlus.

The only real + for the Pixel, being that the OnePlus 3 is 'only' a 1080p screen, compared to the Pixel XL being a 1440p, but that to me is irrelevant, I've done direct comparisons with other 1440p screens, and personally, I really can't tell the difference on a screen this size! But then I don't have perfect (not even close) eyesight.

OnePlus also don't seem to mess with the OS much, a few tweaks, such as enabling customisation of the pull down area (data/wifi/NFC on/off etc.), controlling the LED colour (for notifications, battery state etc), and the few apps they pre-load, can be ignored, nothing is forced on you. It also gets the monthly security patches from Google.

Oh yes, is dual-sim as well, which is handy for some people.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon