Reply to post: How well they handle what?

Sudden explosion in reports of exploding phones

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

How well they handle what?

Samsung had a defect in the batteries they made that was the direct cause of explosions. So far we have (that I've heard in the past week) two reports of exploding/burning iPhones. One that burned up during delivery, and from the picture of the box was mailed in was OBVIOUSLY caused by something piercing the battery. Now we have a report of someone's phone catching fire in their back pocket - I have to wonder how many times he sat on it if he keeps it there.

If there was a manufacturing defect in the iPhone or its battery that was causing a rash of explosions like Samsung, I'm sure Apple would recall them. If they didn't, the CPSA would force them to in the US, and I'm sure the equivalent EU body as well. But you don't recall phones after one or two reports. Otherwise Samsung would have to recall more than the Note 7, because there have been reports of other Samsung models going up in flames as well.

Consider too how many more iPhones 7s (assuming this latest report even is an iPhone 7) there are out there versus Note 7s, so comparing a couple reports of iPhones going up out of the 20 million or so sold by now, and the hundred or so reports out of the couple million Note 7s shipped. If iPhone 7s were blowing up at the same rate, there would be a thousand reports already.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon